Suspicious E-mail - Outlook Mail
Most suspicious E-mail is blocked from landing in your mailbox as soon as it hits the gateway to our e-mail accounts. Even so, dangerous messages get through. Here's what to do with them.
What to Do
- Don’t open it.
- Call the person who sent it to you and ask them if they really sent it. Messages sent from an infected user’s computer can be spoofed so that the message appears as being sent from someone though it really isn't. Or, email addresses harvested from a compromised computer can be used the same way.
- If you have opened the message, don’t click any links or reply to the message.
- Forward the message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Help Desk was alerted recently by a suspicious user who forwarded a phish which displayed a real looking IRS message to email@example.com. Networking was then able to block that message or render useless the link in messages already received.
- Call the Help Desk at x3333 if you are not sure.
- Permanently delete the message – [SHIFT] + [Delete] is a quick keyboard shortcut that works in Outlook on Macs and PCs.
| Author: kelliek ||Last Updated: 2/9/2016 2:58 PM || Page Views: 1978 |